Different types of nonwoven fabrics serve different purposes. Primarily, non-woven fabrics are used for the replacement of traditional expensive fabrics because the production of non-woven fabrics is both, easy and economical; this makes them an ideal replacement. They are also being used to replace toxic and harmful materials like plastic bags that are harmful to our planet and environment. Non-woven fabric factories are spawning left and right to meet up with the ever-increasing demand of non-woven fabric.
This also includes new players entering this domain who are neither experienced nor committed like incumbents of this industry. Therefore, industrial experts of non-woven fabric are advising manufacturers of products that use non-woven fabric as a raw material to only opt for experienced and seasoned manufacturers. Non-woven fabric consumers should ask their non-woven fabric suppliers to only provide them with raw material manufactured by experts only. As the use of different varieties of non-woven fabrics is in the medical industry, it is very important to never opt for non-woven fabric manufacturers manufacturing low or poor quality fabric.
SSMS Non-Woven Fabric:
In the long list of non-woven fabrics, there is a fabric by the name of SSMS. Just as the name suggests, the fabric consists of four layers combine to form a single-layered fabric called SSMS non-woven fabric. The basic composition of SSMS non-woven fabric is:
- The top layer of SSMS fabric is made of Spunbond non-woven fabric.
- The second layer is also made of the same Spunbond non-woven fabric.
- The third layer is made of Meltblown non-woven fabric.
- The fourth and final layer is made of Spunbond non-woven fabric.
All the four layers are processed together either chemically, thermally, or mechanically and the final result produced a single-layered SSMS non-woven fabric. The production process, which is usually cheap and affordable, is carried out in a number of ways. In one method, the entire process is carried out in a single machine that processes the fabrics simultaneously. Otherwise, the individual layers are subjected to a process that combines the different layers to form a single-layered SSMS non-woven fabric. However, the basic production combines both; the Spunbond and Meltblown manufacturing techniques.
If the process is carried out in a machine that performs all the steps simultaneously and only requires the raw material to be put in, it carries out the entire process in the following way:
- The entered raw material goes through extrusion melting.
- Then the molten mixture is filtered.
- Followed by metering.
- The next two simultaneous steps include spinning and cooling.
- Then the cooled fibres are stretched.
- The fibres are laid down to for the basic web.
- The fibres are then connected or combined together by using thermal bonding. This step may vary as the bonding can also be achieved chemically or mechanically.
- In the final step, the processed material is cut to be packed.
Though the process may vary depending upon the manufacturing process the above-stated method outlines the basic manufacturing process. The SSMS non-woven fabric is very breathable and has excellent filtration properties. The fabric is quite comfortable and soft. There are numerous applications in which SSMS non-woven fabric is used. This includes:
- SSMS non-woven fabric is used for the manufacturing of surgical drapes for various types of surgeries.
- SSMS non-woven fabric is used for the manufacturing of surgical packs that are used in a number of surgical applications.
- SSMS non-woven fabric is used for the manufacturing of surgical and protective gowns.
- SSMS non-woven fabric is used for the manufacturing of disposable baby and adult diapers.
- SSMS non-woven fabric is used for the manufacturing of feminine care products such as sanitary pads.
- SSMS non-woven fabric is used for the manufacturing of facial and surgical masks. Due to the recently ensued global pandemic of COVID-19, surgical and personal protective masks are in high demand.
SSMS non-woven fabric possesses a number of qualities that make it suitable for a wide range of applications. Some of those qualities include:
- The SSMS non-woven fabric is quite durable and resistant to wear and tear due to its high tensile strength.
- Despite its high strength, SSMS non-woven fabric is quite comfortable on the skin.
- The SSMS non-woven fabric is cheap and easy to manufacture.
- The SSMS non-woven fabric has good air permeability which makes it perfect to be used for facial masks.
- The SSMS non-woven fabric is non-toxic, bio-degradable, and environment friendly; this makes it an ideal replacement for plastics that are harmful to the environment.
- The SSMS non-woven fabric is hydrophobic. They have an excellent resistance to water, oil, and even alcohol which makes it ideal for industrial, medical, and clinical applications.
- The SSMS non-woven fabric is flexible and non-irritating. It can also be treated to become non-static.
- The SSMS non-woven fabric can be treated to become antibacterial, UV resistant, dust and mite resistant, and non-combustible.
There is a high demand for disposable coverall these days along with protective clothing, disposable protective suits, hospital patient gowns, and protective wear. Protective clothing suppliers and safety clothing suppliers are searching for ways to keep up with the demand that is increasing on a daily basis.
In the midst of the novel Coronavirus, everyone has become aware of the importance of wearing facial masks. Among the most popular facial masks, there is none more popular than the n95 face mask. Face mask makers are looking for ways to manufacture this mask which is in high demand as it is considered to be the best mask available in the market. The manufacturing of this mask again requires the use of non-woven fabric to be manufactured. Medical face masks and general face masks that are worn on a daily basis are also made from non-woven fabric. This adds to the value and importance of choosing high quality non-woven fabric.
Ultimately, SSMS non-woven fabric has numerous industrial applications and its importance can’t be undermined. Spunbond non-woven fabric combined with Meltblown non-woven fabric in different ratios results in a wide range of non-woven fabrics each of which serves a unique purpose and has numerous applications.